Goodyear accepting nominations for ‘Hero Award’
AKRON — Goodyear is seeking nominations for its Highway Hero Award, which honors professional truck drivers who put themselves in harm’s way to help others, through Nov. 29.
Nomination forms for the 36th annual Goodyear Highway Hero Award are available online. The winner will be announced in March during the 2019 Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS) in Louisville, Ky., Goodyear said.
“As we join the trucking industry in celebrating National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, we recognize truck drivers and the role they play in keeping our economy and way of life rolling,” said Gary Medalis, marketing director, Goodyear. “But these professionals deliver more than just goods and services. They are often first responders to on-highway incidents, even before emergency crews arrive on the scene – taking decisive action to save lives.”
This year’s Goodyear Highway Hero Award winner, Frank Vieira, saved the life of a motorist who suffered a severe injury after crashing his vehicle into the back of a truck.
To be considered for the award, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time truck driver;
- Reside in the U.S. or Canada;
- Have had their heroic incident occur in the U.S. or Canada between Nov. 16, 2017, and Nov. 16, 2018;
- Have been driving a truck with 12 wheels or more at the time of the incident; and
- Have been on the job — or on the way to or from work, in his or her truck — at the time of the incident.
A panel of trucking judges will choose the winner of the 2019 award. A complete list of contest rules is available here.